Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A new style of Filmmaking for me

I am slowly putting the finishing touches on a short film which I shot in Paris, France, and Nocito, Spain over July/August of this year. What is very interesting about the film is that I shot it with only a semblance of a story in mind. I had no script, or any idea how how this film would turn out. I just kept shooting and shooting. I used no tripod, or artificial lighting. I found an unlikely actor in Patrice, who is not a professional actor - what you would call a non-actor. He had no idea what I was doing, I simply told him to do this and that. As I began to film more and more the story started to develop...a little.
I was so inspired by the imagery of Spain around me that I couldn't put the camera down. The mountain culture, the isolation, minimalism, all contributed to many ideas that I had. When I sat down to edit it I had hours and hours of footage. But the film seemed to edit itself and eventually what I created was something of a unique process for me. I usually like to be in control - this process, I used what I had.
I feel very proud of this film.
I hope to let you all know soon when it is finally finished.
The film is in French with English subtitles.
And I want to thank the wonderful musicians who were gracious enough to allow me to use their music in my film, particularly Nathalie Astruc who wrote the film's theme throughout the film:

Lamplight - Amour
Dubshack - A new Day
Alexandre Kinn - Dans la tete d'un homme
Nathalie Astruc - Stabbed

FB Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment